• Catherine France

Do Bloggers Need Insurance?

Updated: Jul 13

Everyday there are millions of blog posts published on the internet, in a professional or personal capacity and as soon as your post is in the public domain it is open to potential criticism. You are responsible for the content you publish and that includes the facts, quotes, claims and images you use.

What exactly could you be liable for?

Here are some examples of what might annoy people enough to make a claim against you:

  • Defamation – Saying something on your blog which could damage an individual’s or company’s reputation could open you up to legal action from the party in question.

  • Infringement of intellectual property rights – If you include content from another article or post a photo or logo you do not have permission to use. Copyright law is complicated, and it is easy for bloggers to make a genuine mistake when using an image in their work.

  • Confidential information – In a corporate capacity, this could be the employee in charge of the blog publishing weak figures or a new service without first squaring it with their colleagues. This could be intentional or accidental.

It should be obvious to avoid publishing anything illegal on your blog or anything that would be harassment, as both would result in legal action under The Malicious Communications Act 1988 and The Communications Act 2003.

Can Bloggers Buy Insurance?

In simple terms yes, but it might not be called “Bloggers Insurance” but will be a combination of liability insurance and legal cover.

What Other Insurance Do Bloggers Need?

Home insurance

This is something you most likely already have as a homeowner. But if you’re working from home, you should call your home insurance agent to see what your current coverage entails and if there is anything you can add.

When you call the agent, be specific. Tell them you’re running a business out of your home and find out if there are endorsements to provide greater protections, if there are other coverages you have, and what gaps might exist in your coverage.

Car insurance

Car insurance is also something you most likely already have. Many online entrepreneurs might not need their vehicle for work purposes, but there are some bloggers who will need to check in on their current coverage. For example, if you’re a photographer and are hauling your gear to gigs, you’ll want to have your vehicle covered for business purposes as well as personal purposes.

You might not realize it, but your personal insurance might already cover certain business aspects. Make sure to review your policy with your insurance agent to find out.

Thinking about buying a new vehicle for your company? If so, you’ll need to purchase a commercial auto policy. And if you have an employee driving the vehicle for anything as small as errands, you’ll want to talk to your insurance agent to make sure you’re appropriately covered for that as well.

Public Liability Insurance

General liability is that type of umbrella coverage for your business that will keep you protected against a myriad of issues. Some of these include:

  • Libel

  • Slander

  • Copyright infringement

  • Wrongful termination

  • Discrimination

  • Sexual harassment

  • Business property

And if you are a type of business that houses customer data, general liability will also protect you in the case that that data is breached– which is a very prevalent topic these days.

Your equipment may be covered under general liability, or you may need to purchase a separate policy to cover your business equipment. Either way, you should make sure your equipment is covered under this type of insurance. I’ve seen people too often assume that since they’re equipment is stored at home that their homeowner's insurance will cover it all, but that is not the case if it is for your business.

Employers Liability

This type of insurance will cover you if an employee (and sometimes you) is injured on the job. Laws for workers compensation are different in each state, so make certain that you have adequate coverage for where you operate your business.

And even if you’re a sole proprietor, you’ll often be required to have workers compensation if you do work with a larger company. This happens so that the larger company can be absolved of this responsibility while you are working with them.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

This is also known as errors and omissions. This type of insurance provides protection for damages against civil suits that relate to advice you have given to your client. It’s most prevalent for consultants to have this type of insurance.

For example, if you provide consulting advice to a client that the client later determines had a negative financial impact on them personally or professionally, they may choose to sue you. If you are found to be professionally liable your errors and omissions policy will provide coverage subject to the limits and deductibles of the policy.

How to Find the Insurance You Need?

Just to make matters even more complicated different providers call it different things, so it might be if you are starting your search online you are looking for any of the following;

  • Bloggers Insurance

  • Journalist Insurance or Insurance for Journalists

  • Media Insurance

  • Media Liability Insurance

Are you sure you’re insured?

I know as you’re starting out, it’s easy to feel insurance poor as you begin to research all the different types of insurances you’ll need. However, don’t let it overwhelm you. Insurance must be one of your top priorities when starting a new business.

"You need to take full responsibility for your insurance coverage because if you don’t care about your business, no one else will."

And don’t forget to annually review your coverage. Insurance policies and your business will change. As you grow and expand, you need to make sure your insurance can handle that growth as well.

What Next?

If you need more information about insurance for small businesses download my guide 10 Types of Insurance Every Small Business Needs here - http://eepurl.com/gi4-hb

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.

Important Note: The information in this post is general and is designed to be a guide to the subject matter, your needs will be very much individual to your business and, as I am sure you can understand, I cannot accommodate that in a blog post. This blog post is for information only and is not providing you with advice.If you would like to book a 1-2-1 call with me to discuss this in more detail , please pop over to catherine@catherinefrance.com.

© 2019 by Catherine France

Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Instagram
  • White Pinterest Icon
  • White LinkedIn Icon
  • w-facebook
  • Twitter Clean





LE67 4DN


If you have a question or would like more information please drop me a line at: