• Catherine France

Insurance and Brexit: Can I drive in Europe after Brexit?

Updated: Jul 13, 2020

Now Britain has left the EU, it’s likely UK drivers will require an insurance green card to drive in Europe.

The position was simple pre-Brexit and as long as your normal insurance covered you in Europe and you could prove it you were ok but once the UK comes to the end of the transition period, it is likely that UK drivers will be required to carry a motor insurance green card when driving in Europe.

What is a green card?

A motor insurance green card is proof that you have insurance that covers you to drive in Europe.

Why do I need a green card?

In the worst-case scenario, you could be fined or denied access to the country you’re trying to enter if you don’t have a green card. You will need a green card for all EU and EEA states, plus Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

If you are visiting more than on country, you should also check that your car insurance and green card covers you in all the countries you are visiting.

How do I get a green card?

Your car insurer will be able to issue you with a green card, they are free, but it is worth asking them for one in advance, at least 14 days before you travel so they have time to issue it via post or email. It is likely that the closer we get to the end of the transition period the more people will be requesting a green card.

What else?

  • Your insurance green card must have at least 15 days’ worth of cover remaining, even if you’re only heading into Europe for one day.

  • All green cards must be printed on green paper which is worth bearing in mind if your printing it at home.

  • If you’re going to be towing a trailer abroad, some EU and EEA countries require two separate green cards — one for the trailer, and another for the vehicle that’s towing it. Check this with your insurance provider if you are taking a trailer or caravan with you onto the continent.

Source: Metro

9 views0 comments